About This Station

The station is powered by a Davis Vantage PRO weather station. The data is collected every 60 seconds and the site is updated every 5 minutes. This site and its data is collected using Weather Display Software. The station is comprised of an anemometer, a rain gauge and a thermo-hydro sensor situated in optimal positions for highest accuracy possible.

About Stayton, Oregon

Stayton is named after Drury Smith Stayton, one of the town’s first settlers, who built a sawmill here in 1870. Historical accounts indicate that Mr. Stayton wanted to name the town “Florence”, in honor of his daughter, but the name was already taken (for Post Office purposes) by a town on the Oregon coast. Instead, Mr. Stayton named one of the first platted streets for his daughter. The original portion of Stayton was platted by Drury Stayton in 1872 and the city was later legally incorporated in 1891. Sources note Stayton’s population in 1897 was 300. Just over one hundred years later, in 2000, the population had grown to 6,816. The latest state estimate, at mid-2007, has the number at 7,765 and growing. Stayton’s attraction for early-day entrepreneurs was the availability of cheap and plentiful water to generate power. Mr. Stayton’s sawmill was preceded by a wool carding mill. Other water-powered mills included a cabinet factory, a flour mill, a sash and door factory and an excelsior mill. Excelsior was a type of fine wood shaving used for upholstery padding, packing material and other things. Through the early 20th century, Stayton transitioned to more of an agricultural town, becoming known as the “bean capital of the valley” and featuring a “Bean Festival” each summer. The Stayton Canning Co. Cooperative was established in about 1924 and its processing plant, to this day, remains the largest single employer in Stayton. The Stayton plant remains the flagship of the cooperative, now known as Norpac Foods, Inc. Also, due to its proximity to the western Cascade foothills, Stayton benefited from the timber industry in the Santiam Canyon. Two notable companies with close ties to Stayton are the Freres Lumber Co. and the Frank Lumber Co. Initially difficult, a decline in the timber industry during the 1980’s pushed Stayton toward becoming the diverse economy and community that it is today. Sources: News article, “Water Powered Stayton’s Origins as Town”, by Capi Lynn, Salem Statesman Journal, June 12, 2003; Booklet, “A History of Stayton, Oregon”, by Mathilda Siegmund Jones, published by The Stayton Mail, December 1955; 1994 Annual Report, Norpac Foods, Inc.; 2004 Community Guide, Stayton-Sublimity Chamber of Commerce. All of these reference materials are available at the Stayton Public Library.


About This Website

This site is a template design by CarterLake.org with PHP conversion by Saratoga-Weather.org.
Special thanks go to Kevin Reed at TNET Weather for his work on the original Carterlake templates, and his design for the common website PHP management.
Special thanks to Mike Challis of Long Beach WA for his wind-rose generator, Theme Switcher and CSS styling help with these templates.
Special thanks go to Ken True of Saratoga-Weather.org for the AJAX conditions display, dashboard and integration of the TNET Weather common PHP site design for this site.
Special thanks to Jim McMurry of Juneau County Weather for his help with the soil page.

Template is originally based on Designs by Haran.

This template is XHTML 1.0 compliant. Validate the XHTML and CSS of this page.